Who are we?
The Canadian Nursery Landscape Association (CNLA) is a national not-for-profit federation of nine provincial landscape and horticulture associations representing over 4,200 members. Comprised of thousands of locally owned companies that grow, sell, design, install, and maintain plants and other landscape features, our members represent over $2.2 billion at the farm gate and over $14 billion in economic impact in Canada.
CNLA, with the Provincial Associations, will develop programs, undertake initiatives and form alliances in order to achieve sustainable prosperity for members and stakeholders.
A prosperous, professional and ethical industry that is recognized, valued and utilized by the public, as a result of the environmental, economic and life-style benefits provided by our members' products and services.
View our current Board of Directors here>
Landscape Professionals | Landscape Suppliers | Independent Garden Centres | Nursery Growers
Landscape Horticulture Certification Program (LHCP)
CNLA - Growing & Creating Our Future - 1922-2022
Celebrating 100 Years of Horticulture! #YearOfTheGarden2022
Over 100 Years of History
Growing a stronger green industry in Canada since 1922.
- The purpose of CNLA-ACPP is to foster relationships and alliances, provide member certification and help its members function more effectively.
- The Association dates back to 1922 with the formation of the Eastern Canada Nurserymen's Association, with members mainly from Quebec and Ontario. Gradual expansion of the nursery industry over the years resulted in the formation of seven regional associations by 1964.
- Each regional association was represented on the Board of Directors of the Canadian Nursery Trades Association (CNTA). CNTA was registered in 1968.
- In 1972, the CNTA office was established in Ottawa. In 1973, it adopted the name Landscape/Paysage Canada for its brevity and easy bilingual connotation and because it represented more adequately the scope of the industry. Then in 1978, CNTA was relocated to the Landscape Ontario office in Mississauga, Ontario.
- In 1998, CNTA officially changed its name to the Canadian Nursery Landscape Association (CNLA), in order to accurately reflect the nature of its members. CNLA has an official constitution and is incorporated under the laws of The Canadian Corporations Act.
- In 2022, The CNLA celebrated 100 year anniversary.
Board of Directors
CNLA Presidents (1946 - Present)
|1946 -1949||1979 -1980|
|SPENCER McCONNEL, Port Burwell, Ontario||WADE HARTWELL, Calgary, Alberta|
|1950 -1951||1980 -1983|
|J.A. AITKEN, Brantford, Ontario||MARC THIEBAUD, Brooklin, Ontario|
|1953 -1953||1983 -1984|
|T.A. TORGESON, Estevan, Saskatchewan||RON HUNTER, Surrey, British Columbia|
|1954 -1955||1985 -1986|
|J.V. STENSSON, Oakville, Ontario||STAN KOCHANOFF, Falmouth, Nova Scotia|
|1956 -1957||1987 -1988|
|A.B. LUKE, Montreal, Quebec||HENRY HEUVER, Calgary, Alberta|
|1958 -1959||1989 -1990|
|W.B. WELLINGTON, Fonthill, Ontario||KARL E. STENSSON, Georgetown, Ontario|
|1959 -1960||1991 -1992|
|TED SHUTTLEWORTH, London, Ontario||GERRY HUTCHINSON, Aldergrove, British Columbia|
|1960 -1961||1993 -1994|
|JOHN McDONALD, Lacombe, Alberta||GORD SHUTTLEWORTH, London, Ontario|
|1961 -1962||1995 -1996|
|W.H. PERRON, Montreal, Quebec||GLORIA BECK, Red Deer, Alberta|
|1962 -1963||1997 -1999|
|J. HENRY EDDIE, Vancouver, British Columbia||JOHN ZAPLATYNSKY, Burnaby, British Columbia|
|1963 -1964||1999 -2001|
|LEN CULLEN, Toronto, Ontario||BRUCE MCTAVISH,White Rock, British Columbia|
|1964 -1965||2001 -2003|
|CARL LUCK, Ste. Therese, Quebec||VICTOR KRAHN, CLHT, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan|
|1966 – 1967||2003-2005|
|DAVID HUNTER, Surrey, British Columbia||HAROLD DEENEN, CLHM, Toronto, Ontario|
|1967 -1968||2005 -2007|
|LENO MORI, Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario||PAUL OLSEN, Schomberg, Ontario|
|JOHN PHILLIPO, Burnaby, British Columbia||MICHAEL MURRAY, Portugal Cove, Newfoundland|
|KEITH LAVER, Cooksville, Ontario||CARY VAN ZANTEN, Surrey, BC|
|JACK VINCELLI, Montréal, Quebec||BILL STENSSON, Georgetown, ON|
|HARRY VAN DUYVENDYK, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan||CHRISTENE LEVATTE, CLHM, Sydney, NS|
|FRANK FITZELLE, Port Burwell, Ontario||RENE THIEBAUD, CLHM, Toronto, ON|
|MEL McEWAN, West St. Paul, Manitoba||BRUCE HUNTER, CLHT, CLD, CLM, Surrey, BC|
|GLEN PEISTER, Kitchener, Ontario||PHIL PAXTON, CLHT, CLHM, Strathmore, AB|
|STEVE LASTIWKA, Andrew, Alberta||ANTHONY O’NEILL, Spaniard’s Bay, NL|
|BILL HARDY, CLHM, Maple Ridge, BC|
CNLA President's Award Recipients
The CNLA President’s Award is given to members or staff who, in the opinion of the current Executive Committee of the CNLA Board of Directors, have demonstrated beyond question, a sustained personal commitment that has contributed beneficially to the enhancement of the industry at a national or international level.
2022 - RENE THIEBAUD, OGS Landscape Group, Brooklin, ON
2022 - CHRISTENE STENHOUSE LEVATTE, CLHM, CLD Highland Landscapes for Lifestyle, Sydney, NS
2017 - MICHAEL MURRAY, Murray’s Horticultural Services, Portugal Cove, NL
2016 - HAROLD DEENEN, Hank Deenen Landscaping, Toronto, ON
2015 - VIC KRAHN, Lakeshore Tree Farms, Saskatoon, SK
2013 - GLORIA BECK, Parkland Nurseries and Garden Centre, Red Deer, AB
HENRY HEUVER, Foothills Landscaping Ltd., Calgary, AB
SANDY ROBERTON, Earth-Craft Landscape Ltd., Bedford, NS
2010 - KARL STENSSON, Sheridan Nurseries Ltd., Georgetown, ON
2011 - JOHN ZAPLATYNSKY, GardenWorks, Burnaby, BC
MARC THIEBAUD, OGS Landscape Group, Brooklin, ON
CASEY VAN MARIS, Parklane Nurseries, Gormely, ON